A year inside

 The global pandemic has been a year without parallel in my life. First of all, to those who have lost someone to covid, my deepest condolences. To those with long covid, I hope you get relief soon. And to those who have lost someone to an overdose in the past year, I see you. It has been a long road to a place where I even see a glimmer of hope. That does not mean we should look past the pain the last year has caused. 

I started having panic attacks in Jan of 2020. I can clearly see now that this was related to two items: One was the lack of adequate treatment for a hormone balance. Two was fear of coronavirus. The type of anxiety that I have makes any kind of medical fears related to death or disease spiral into a monster that is unmanageable. I remember the Lyft ride home from the ER when they pumped me up with benzos because I was shivering alternating with having trouble breathing. I was so fucked up, I really should not have traveled alone. As I was riding, I realized I was not in control of myself. I was barely able to keep my eyes open. When I went into the house, I made a pledge to myself that I was going to find the root cause of what was ailing me. The attacks were just a symptom. I had let myself completely go into a state where I was not performing the daily maintanence to keep this machine running. I agreed to get on buspar, sought the help of a therapist. And I made a commitment to myself to see what was happening with the pandemic before relinquishing control of my present mind. It sort of worked. Then I got sick. 


In late Feb into March, I got sick for two weeks straight with an undiagnosed illness. Maybe the flu, maybe corona. I will never know. That illness snapped me back to reality. I, in fact, wanted to live. I wanted to protect my health. So I did. I spent March and April and May hiking and walking with a mask on. I sat outside to listen to the birds. I had a friend spiral into active addiction where he died in a firey car accident. I started going to online meeting. I maintained. I started to overeat like a motherfucker. I refused to acknowledge my sadness. I started to thrive in my solitude. I took up the hobby of whale watching. I learned a bit about the stars. 

My children have alternately had issues this past year. One in particular started saying the same troubled things I sad when I was just launching into my journey of self harm. I started praying to any God that might listen to please let my child be free of the mental illness that has plagued my family line for generations. I started reading articles. I started building in quality time. I binge watched and I floundered. I occassionally asked for help from friends. I would sometimes text a therapist. I went kayaking twice. My fat ass did things I never imagined were possible. Because I was alive. Life is painful and beautiful at the same time.


Please excuse typos because right now IDGAF. Thanks


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Tar Heroin 10 questions answered

Jamie

Another chapter in dopesick love